Monday, July 16, 2007

I'm not stupid... I'm advanced!


Oi vey. I'm having flashbacks to skool. For the last several weeks I've been trying to learn about cement (specifically, wellbore cementing). Fun stuff.

No, really, it's actually interesting. The problem arises from me having no relevant background with the stuff, and combining the learning process with the ongoing QC. It's starting to all merge into one massive mental ball of... stuff that I'm having difficulty wrapping my head around.

On the plus side, if I ever feel like pouring an extension to my patio, I'm fairly sure I can get a good deal on the supplies...

The heat comes and goes down here. And this weekend it came. I originally planned to use the weekend to get a bunch of work done around the house. Ah, the best laid plans of mice and men. Saturday started off good. I managed to trim back the jungle in my yard and unloaded nearly a ton of rock so that I could set up a garden section in my yard to transplant my herbs into. Sunday was supposed to be about cleaning the house (I swear things get dirtier quicker down here than in Calgary), and installing a few organizing racks in the garage, but I woke up with a splitting headache that never really went away. When combined with the heat I ended up saying "screw it" and loafed around for the day feeling miserable. Good times. All praise the inventor of central air conditioning.

I also suspect that I have raccoons hanging around my place now. I can't be positive, but I don't know of any other animal that would actually try to steal my birdfeeder. I came out one morning to find it gone and the pole it was mounted on bent over. After much searching, I found the thing wedged underneath my back fence.

Oh! New bug alert! I haven't seen one of these since elementary school.

The second pic isn't great, but gives a better idea of the size.


No, the ash-can isn't mine. Neither is the bug. It was found up by our warehouse. I was tempted to take it home as a pet.

And in case Amy hasn't been notified of this article already: The Ultimate Knitter

3 comments:

cenobyte said...

Are you sure your raccoons aren't just teenagers? Er. Teenage humans, not teenage raccoons, because if they were the latter, they would still be raccoons, rather than 'not raccoons', if you get where I'm going with this....

Personally, I would have (and probably did) climb up a bird pole to steal the bird house, then stash it under the fence/lawn tractor/deck, just to make the folks in the house wonder who the hell would climb up a pole and steal a bird house then stash it under the fence/lawn tractor/deck.

Then again, if you do have raccoons, just call my Da. I'm sure he'll be able to back over those buggers without even thinking about it. Incidentally, my Da also has raccoons. Or at least, he *had* raccoons. A couple months ago. He's been shooting at them, and eventually, I suppose, he will back over them. And then he will tell me that he 'coulda cried' because it was so much fun just shooting at them all the time...

Steve said...

It could be teens, but the ones around here don't seem... hmmm... malicious enough? to have done it. Anything's possible, I suppose.

Apparently killing them is about the only permanent solution. I was talking to a friend about it and she mentioned that when she was living down in Little Rock they got raccoons in their yard. They trapped them, marked them with fluorescent spray paint, and relocated them around 50 miles north. About a week later they were back.

Amy said...

Thanks for the link! I have so many ideas now...