Monday, May 05, 2008

Still alive... Again.

So there was another tornado in Arkansas on Friday. 8 people were killed. Fortunately for me, I wasn't among them. The twister hit about an hour northwest of me. Still, thanks for the concern from those that have phoned to check up on me. Apparently you're paying more attention to the weather than I am, since I don't seem to find out about these things until people call to check up on me.

On the one hand, this is kinda nifty, since I think in the last few months I might have leapfrogged ahead of R:tAG and Amy in the "natural disasters in your state that prompt people to check on your health" category. On the other hand, the sudden frequency of these twisters is bothering me a bit. After all, I didn't really have to worry about them for pretty much all of last year, and now it's seeming like every couple of weeks there's another one. Ah well.

3 comments:

Amy said...

At least all our fires have been 700 km away or so; your tornadoes have been a lot closer to you and even the high winds on the fringes can cause problems. So we worry! I'm glad you posted.

I'm just waiting for The Big Earthquake here. I'm doing my part to prevent it, though, by *not* buying a house. Because you just know that California is going to fall into the ocean before the ink is dry on my mortgage.

Think about it; the tornadoes increased in frequency right after you bought a house... coincidence? Unpossible!

Steve said...

The good thing about tornadoes is that they're very localized - the damage is usually limited to a couple of square miles. The California fires and earthquakes tend to cover a much wider area. In any event, my house is actually in a relatively low-laying area with some hills around it so I should be relatively safe from a twister (at least, that's what the locals tell me).

I've always wondered how we got these big population centers in areas that are prone to natural disasters. California I can sort of understand - you had the gold rush, and by the time that they figured out that their city was built on a fault line it was probably too late. Arkansas I can sort of understand too, just because the tornadoes are so hit-and-miss. Florida really does confuse me, though. There's usually at least one hurricane every year, and yet some how you somehow get a densely populated state out of it - and one that's considered a retirement destination at that.

cenobyte said...

I hear folks breed a lot down there.