Wednesday, March 21, 2007

One Last Hurrah.

If I've ever experienced anything more depressing in my life than packing up for this move, I blocked it from my mind long ago.

Honestly, the deliberate act of going through all my accumulated junk and deciding "That goes with me. That gets thrown out. X can have that, (s)he can make better use of it than me" is less like getting ready for a garage sale and more like getting ready for my own funeral. Unnecessarily morbid? Possibly, but true nonetheless.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Huh. I found moving to be depressing only because I couldn't *believe* that I'd accumulated so much crap. Winnowing it felt cathartic and beneficial.

You're being *liberated*! Of course, there are those who might say the same thing about dying. Never mind.

Steve said...

It really doesn't have anything to do with the items themselves or what I'm doing with them. I've done spring cleaning before and found it, as you say, liberating.

It's more a matter of what this all represents. I'm undergoing a rather significant and sudden change in my life - one which I'm not entirely comfortable with. In a strange way I do feel like I'm killing part of myself off.

Tim said...

Steve,

I think you really needed a change anyway, so try to think of it all as an adventure. Attitude is everything when you move around a lot. Trust me. Rhea counted and we have average 1 move every year since the U of S.

Tim

Steve said...

I agree that I needed a change - I would have taken the job no matter where it was, as long as it was far away. I'm just saying that it's still very tough to pack up and move and leave behind pretty much everything and everyone. With the exception of University I've lived here for nearly 30 years straight. I have a hell of a lot of roots here, and I can't take any of them with me.

I'm know I sound emo but, like I said, I'm finding the experience very depressing.