Monday, May 07, 2007

I Love A Rainy Night


I'm right now enjoying the hardest rainstorm that I've ever seen. I don't think that I've ever seen it rain so hard for so long. The water level in the drainage ditch in our yard (my company's) has risen about 4 feet in the last half hour. It's kewl. The best part is that the weather is still warm. Definitely a nice change from the cold rain in Calgary.

(BTW, the pic is not from here, but is still a relatively accurate depiction).

Weekend was decently enjoyable. We've been having weather in the high 70's - low 80's (that's mid to high 20's in real temperature). I discovered both a farmer's market and the asian food market (I doubt that there's more than one), so life is somewhat more tolerable now. Spent the weekend happily cooking away and doing a little more unpacking. And discovering the sheer joy that is the mojito. Seriously. I think I'm through with Gin & Tonic as my summertime drink.

On the money front, I'm still lacking in funds. Apparently one of the checks that I wrote to myself was sufficiently large enough to warrant further scrutiny. Surprisingly, the hastily scrawled signature on my cheque did not match the one in my account when I opened it about 20 years ago (and was likely told to sign neatly and clearly). I've therefore taken the drastic step of asking my folks for help. I'm sending them some cheques to cash and then they can send me a US money order for the proper amount. I have a good feeling about this. It could work.

That just leaves me with the problem of the other, slightly smaller cheque that I wrote to myself. The money for it disappeared from my Canadian bank account 2-3 weeks ago but has yet to appear down here. My bank here is saying the 15th of May. I'm saying that if it's not there by then I'll look at suing.

It occurs to me now that I might have been able to transfer the funds just as easily through my pay-pal account. Anyone out there that can give me a reason that it wouldn't work?

More as it develops, but for now, I think I'll head home.

4 comments:

Siochain said...

Hi...
So I got home and promptly fell asleep. I could call you, but I think you are probably now asleep. So I call you tomorrow. Also... what's in a mojito?

Steve said...

No prob. I was pretty tired myself and had a 3:15 wakeup call for this morning, so I went to bed early.

A mojito is (or at least, the ones I were drinking consisted of): 1 lime muddled with a handful of mint and 1/2 cup of sugar (can probably cut back on the sugar, as it didn't all dissolve) and then mixed with 1/2 cup of rum (Appleton Estates is my brand of choice). Strain the mixture into two iced glasses and top off with club soda and garnish with more mint. Yum.

Amy said...

Mmmmmmmmojitos! The other summer drink you must try (if you haven't) is sangria.

This might be too late to help with your banking nonsense, but I've had very good luck with the Royal Bank - Centura pair of companies. It's the same bank, only not really (Royal Bank is Canadian, Centura is American), but they let you transfer money between accounts instantly, painlessly, and on-line. The one downside for me is that they don't physically exist west of the I75 corridor (the setup was created for the ease of Canadian snowbirds wintering in Florida).

If you want the grand gesture of stating "Fuck all y'all!" and taking all your money out of your current accounts, you could look at RBC as an option.

Steve said...

UPDATE!

The second cheque finally showed up in my account today. Not bad - it only took 37 days.

On my next trip back to Canada I'll be officially closing my BMO account. But I won't be transferring to another account up there until I get back. One guy I know got nailed with an $800 "service fee" when he transferred his money to another Canadian bank. If/when I move back to Canada, I'm definitely not going to go with BMO again. RBC sounds like a good bet. One of the guys who transferred down here uses them and apparently they let him arrange his wire transfer via faxes.