Thursday, December 06, 2007

Wildlife

The birds are loving my back yard. It's filled with gold finches, house finches, juncos, chickadees, tons of cardinals, and the odd titmouse. It's getting expensive feeding all the greedy buggers. They can empty my feeder in about a day now. I'm wondering if it's because word's getting around in the avian world or if it's just because it's now "cold" down here. In any event it's a small price to pay for the cathartic effect of watching all the birds flitting about. I still haven't had any woodpeckers show up for my suet feeder yet, though. This surprises me since my neighbor has stated that she can't get a suet block to last overnight.

I also have armadillos. I haven't actually seen them, i've just seen the mess that they're make of my lawn while digging around for grubs overnight. I'm using deer repellent in the hopes that it drives them away - anything made with "putrescent egg white solids" (I kid you not) would drive me away. If that doesn't work, I've also had moth balls suggested to me. I really don't want to have to resort to traps (live or lethal) or shooting them.

Now, I go home and drink. Heavily. Between work and other stuff, this week can not end soon enough. Thank god I've got some chicken carcasses ready for making stock this weekend.

Oh, yeah. I also want to have Jade Raymond's children.

4 comments:

cenobyte said...

Erm.
*You* want to have someone else's children?

Fair enough. Start those pelvic floor exerciese now.

Please bring me an armadillo when you come to visit. They are my second favourite animal.

Also, what works best with deer in our yard is to have boys pee around the perimeter of the yard. First morning pee is usually best, but 'after several beer' pee seems to also do the jaerb.

Steve said...

Unfortunately, I don't think that pee will work for armadillos. At least, I haven't had any of the locals suggest it.

I'd bring you an armadillo, but from what I understand they're notoriously bad fliers. They tend to start panicking and bothering the flight attendants.

cenobyte said...

Can't you just put armadillos in your luggage? I mean, how big can an armadillo *get*, really?

cenobyte said...

P.S. What about if you pee *on* the armadillos?

P.P.S. Don't bring me the one(s) you pee on.