Saturday, March 15, 2008

More organs means more human

So, apparently when you get a kidney transplant they leave the old ones in for at least a year. I never knew that.

Anyhow, my dad came through the operation pretty much with flying colors. We went to visit him yesterday and he was annoyingly cheerful. I'm sure that you're not supposed to actually be that peppy for at least a day after a surgery like that. Anyhow, the doctors say that he should be home by Wednesday with an unrestricted diet. We've already planned his welcome home meal. Unsurprisingly, it consists of foods that until a few days ago he wasn't allowed - Tomatoes and beans (in this case in the form of tomato salad and casoullet).

So yes, we're quite happy right now although from my understanding the major hurdle is the whole first month. Still, we're all cautiously optimistic. Thanks for all the support we've been getting from everybody else.

And on a very personal note. I'd like to extend my sincerest condolences and thanks to the family of the donor. Although we don't know who you are and you don't know who we are and never will, thank you. Your loss provided one kidney for my father, another for a second man, and a pancreas for a third. Thank you.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay! I'm glad everything went well for your Dad, Steve. My father went through heart surgery and I know I wasn't in a good state then.

Amy said...

It was great to hear your voice even for a sec during a phone call with Bne. I'm so glad that your dad's doing well!

Steve said...

Thanks both. I've known that I was likely overreacting, but I figure that it's my right to overreact. I'm just glad that kidney transplants are a relatively easy operation nowadays. Both my dad and the guy that got the other kidney are doing very well. The third guy in their room - the one that got the pancreas - seems to be having a much slower recovery, though he seems to be getting better each day too. I would have grabbed the phone and said a more personal "hi" to you the other night, but I was busy getting my wallet back from Bne.

I don't know about you, but for me that joke's never getting old.

Amy said...

"I don't know about you, but for me that joke's never getting old."

Nope, that's pretty much eternal humour, right there.

My father-out-law (my sister's husband's dad) got a kidney transplant about 15 years ago, and is doing fine now. It really is amazing how.. well, not *routine* it is, but how many medical options there are these days.

Steve said...

I agree entirely, and the operations do seem to be getting simpler all the time. When my uncle got his kidney 12 years ago he was in the hospital for about twice as long as my dad. It's definitely made me wonder what it's going to be like in another 20-30 years when I need a kidney.