Tuesday, March 04, 2008

What's This?

One of the larger annoyances I had of working (pretty much literally) the entire weekend was that it was the nicest weather that we've had down here since autumn. The weather was in the 70s and bright and sunny and I was really looking forward to firing up the grill for the first time this year.

Obviously that didn't happen. "No biggie," says I. "I'll just enjoy cooking outdoors on Monday, or maybe Tuesday if Monday's too busy.

Well, yesterday was pretty much a full day torrential downpour which, while it ruined my grill plans I was still happy to get since it stopped raining the day that I planted my trees and I haven't had time to water them since.

However, when I woke up this morning, I was greeted by a strange sight:


Everything was covered by this cold, white stuff. It was sort of like tiny ice crystals, but very fine and delicate. It seems familiar for some reason.

No matter, we got more of it falling out of the sky for most of the morning, then it all melted away in about an hour.

I tell ya, Arkansas has some strange weather.

4 comments:

cenobyte said...

I am reminded of that scene from "Better Off Dead", where they are standing on a mountain and the one guy has a revelation that the entire mountain is covered in "snow"!!!.

"Oh my God. We're RICH!" He hollers. "Do you know what the street value of this *mountain* is?"

Which was probably a *much* funnier joke to people who lived in places like Miami Beach and Houston than it was for someone who lives in that kind of climate. It was still funny, though.

Were you the only guy who knew how to drive properly, or are the Arkansas folks pretty good with winter driving?

And does the snow kill the creepy-crawlies? Or is it just a freak climatological event that confuses spiders as much as it does motorists?

Steve said...

Heh. I remember that line. Ah, Better Off Dead. I haven't seen that movie since the 80s. I wonder if it's as funny as I remember it?

From what I understand, it was pretty much only the northerners who knew how to drive (ironic when you consider how bad Calgary drivers are). The highway was apparently bumper-to-bumper, but I don't have to take it to get to work.

I'm certainly hoping that the cold snap at least sets back the creepy buggers a couple of weeks, if not killing them outright. Only time will tell.

At least I didn't plant my herb garden this weekend.

Siochain said...

You know what works well on snow?
Lasers!
S'true.

Steve said...

Hrumph. When I got home last night I stopped and had a listen.

Couldn't hear a single froggy croak, and there were plenty before the snow. Hopefully they come back soon.