Friday, September 18, 2009

It's strange how different it is moving my stuff back to Canada than it was getting it down here in the first place.

On my trip down, I just had the movers show up at my apartment, gave them my new address, and the next time I saw them was at my house down here. Going back I need to get them proof of my current (US) residence, meet customs officers, and whatnot.

Now I'm also having issues with my alcohol. Getting down here, it was just packed up and unpacked with everything else. I didn't think twice about it and the movers didn't mention it.

This time, the movers have said that their policy is that they don't handle alcohol at all - even sealed bottles. So I tried FedEx, and DHL, and other shipping companies. No dice. "Fine." I thought. "I'll just pack it good and check it with my luggage on my flight. The company is paying for that anyhow." Until I find out that they need special containers for alcohol. It wouldn't be an issue if it was just a couple of bottles - I'd just wrap it up good and stuff it in my bags. Unfortunately, I've got a couple of cases of the stuff (most of it local wines that you can't get outside of the wineries down here). It's not the end of the world, but it is frustrating. The way things are going I might have to leave it down here until somebody from our company decides to drive up to Canada and then reimburse them for the duty.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ship the alcohol to the Calgary lab for "testing".

Steve said...

I seriously considered that, but if it gets caught the company would likely not be happy with me.

Amy said...

Would you have problems with mailing it within the States too, or is in the Canada/US border that's the issue? 'Cause I can always offer wine a happy home...

Steve said...

From what I can figure, it doesn't have anything to do with the border. They just won't ship alcohol period.