Friday, September 11, 2009

Second verse, same as the first.

Talked to several more CS reps at DirecTV, with pretty much the same result across the board. My sister suggested that I email Larry Hunter, the interim CEO, and Ellen Filipiak, Senior VP of Customer Relations, and even helped me trim the venom out of said email so it wasn't just frothing incomprehensible spittle. The result was the following:

Mr Hunter,

Approximately three months ago, I decided to switch away from one of your satellite TV competitors. One issue of concern in choosing my new provider was the cancellation fee as I was working in the US on a work visa and could not guarantee I would be living in the United States long-term. While I was talking to your sales agent on the phone about the contract I was informed of having to sign a two-year contract. At that time I explained my situation to your agent and that I could not guarantee that I would still be living in the United States in two years time. Your agent assured me that, in the event that I had to cancel my account due to moving to a location that DirecTV does not provide service to (i.e. Canada) I would not be charged an early cancellation fee. With that assurance in place I was happy to choose DirecTV as my new satellite provider and I entered into a contract on that basis.

Three weeks ago, my employer decided to transfer me back to our head office in Calgary, Canada. Last week, in preparation for the move, I phoned DirecTV and canceled my service. Again I was told by your agent that because DirecTV does not provide service in Canada, I would not be charged an early cancellation fee. This week I checked my final bill and was shocked to see a $440 early cancellation fee included.

Based on my previous conversations with DirecTV, I assumed that this was a simple administrative error and I phoned your billing department. The billing department admitted the mistake, even going so far as to confirm that there was a note in my file detailing that I was not to be charged an early cancellation fee. Your agent forwarded me to your cancellations department because it was not within his power to remove the fee.

At this point, my experience with DirecTV became less than satisfactory. Every person I have subsequently spoken with has reiterated the same thing: That no matter what your agents have told me at least three times in the past, DirecTV does not waive early cancellation fees and I will have to pay the $440 fee. They did, however, reassure me that they will try to make sure that an agent never misrepresents DirecTV to a customer again. After talking to multiple people at your company, I have been left with the recourse of mailing a letter to your Billing Disputes department in Colorado. I was told that the matter MIGHT get resolved in several weeks time, long after I have moved back to Canada.

I am sorry, but the fact that you will not stand behind your own sales agent and that your other agents in billing, cancellations, and customer service will do nothing to facilitate getting this matter resolved is very unprofessional and frankly, unacceptable. I entered into my agreement with DirecTV in good faith that your agent was able to contract on your behalf and that the services would be as discussed.

I hope that this letter will help facilitate getting this issue resolved in a timely and fair manner. To be clear, I would like the early cancellation fee cancelled and my money refunded before I move back to Canada at the end of the month.


The result was a phone call from another CS rep who was absolutely unhelpful. Thus have I emailed Larry once more with the following:

Mr. Hunter,

Regarding my previous email, I was recently contacted by one of your customer service agents regarding the matter I stated. While very apologetic, she had obviously not even read my complaint when she phoned, as she seemed rather confused when I mentioned that the agreement I had entered into with DirecTV was based on the misinformation provided by your sales agent. She then suggested that I reactivate my account and have it suspended while I was in Canada. This made her seem to fail understand that this is not a temporary move for me, and while I might end up living down in the US in the future the current transfer I am undertaking is, for all intents and purposes, permanent. Her lack of familiarity with the situation which was described quite clearly in my email, is disheartening. Finally, she continued to repeat what I have heard from several other representatives with your company - that despite the fact that I entered into a contract with DirecTV because I was misled, I would still be forced to pay the early cancellation fee. I would like to know if this is your company's final say on the matter.

I've pretty much resigned myself to losing this fight. They immediately took the early cancellation fee off of my credit card (required by them for just such an emergency, apparently). I've reported them to the BBB, and am still considering small claims court except that I likely will be living in Canada by the time anything happens.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I can offer nothing but sympathy and the suggestion that you *write out* (not e-mail) those letters and try again. I have found (and my wise mother has also found) that e-mail gets too easily filtered by underlings. Someone taking the time to write *on paper* and *mail* a letter, in this day and age, gets better results.

Steve said...

That surprises me, although I imagine now that with snail mail being the exception rather than the norm it might stand out more. Thanks for the tip.

In the end, though, I'm just tired of all the BS I've had to wade through in the last week. I got had one last conversation with a CS rep on Saturday spouting the same crap, and received an email from them later that day stating that they consider the matter settled. I've got too much else to do in the next week before I move on the 22nd, so I'm just going to let the matter die here, barring hearing something from the BBB.

I'll still badmouth them at any opportunity, though.