Thursday, June 19, 2008

And people say that Saskatchewan's flat?

I've been in Midland, Texas, all week at a conference. I swear that the place looks like it's right out of a Sergio Leone movie. Flat, dry, and nearly featureless.

The conference was good. I learned a lot, and then realized how little I still know when I listened in on a discussion my bosses were having. C'est la vie. I also was nearly impaled by an umbrella, which was really neat. We were sitting on the patio watching the lightning pass by (spectacular lightning storms down in that part of the country. Not much rain, though) when a gust of wind blew over the only open umbrella on the patio. When the bartender came out the fix it, another gust blew it out of his hands and impaled it in the wall about a foot from where I was sitting. As I said, nifty.

The flight back was not so nifty. There was a thunderstorm in Dallas, so my flight there was delayed by three hours. By the time that I got in I had missed my connection and another one had been canceled, so I checked myself in to stand by while I waited for my coworkers to come in on their later flight. I was number 43 on the list initially. It didn't get a lot better. My coworkers made their connection, I didn't. I waited for another 4 hours to try to make another repeatedly delayed connecting flight to Little Rock, at which point they delayed the flight for another hour and a half. At that time I decided to get a hotel and try again tomorrow.

You know, I think that after Maguires in Saskatoon, and my own home, I don't think that I have have spent so much time drinking in one place as I have in the Dallas-Fort Worth airport.

Oh well, it could always be worse.

2 comments:

Amy said...

And people would always say to me, way back when, "Oh, you get to travel a lot for work? That must be *so fun!*" No, no it isn't. Knowing where the good spots to sleep on the floor of the Minneapolis airport (under the stairs, so the floor Zamboni can't get you) does not mean you're having fun.

Steve said...

Amen to that. I think that being able to see new places - however run down they may be - is kind of nice but the traveling is almost always a nightmare, especially when all of my trips have to start with a one-hour flight to some other airport, followed by what is only most times a two hour plus wait for my connections.