Tuesday, June 24, 2008

These are not the critters you're looking for.

Set the trap up again last night and found an opossum in it this morning. In a move that I'm likely to regret I let him go, since he's not my main annoyance right now.

Surprisingly, he was a lot less placid than the raccoon, despite being about a third of the size. He wasn't violent but he was rather "growly". He also didn't want to leave the cage. I had to open it up, upend it, and shake it before he decided to let go and run for the trees.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Hee! We have possums here too; they're bigger than I thought they were.

Did you see this?

Steve said...

I'm not sure if the one I caught is large for its size or not - I've only seen one other one live. Both were about the size of a small cat.

I like the poster, but I would never consider an opossum for a pet. A raccoon, on the other hand, I'd be tempted. Despite their annoyance factor they are cute little buggers.

Siochain said...

Good lord! A possum!
Very neat. I saw a baby beluga on Sunday. Now if you can catch one of those in your trap device, that will be very impressive, indeed. And then he can live in your jacuzzi and you can name him Blubber McChubbyFins.
PS Happy Canada Day!!!
Big Hug!

Steve said...

While I'd never get an actual pool in my back yard, I have considered a jacuzzi more than once. I don't think that it would be beluga-sized, though.

Canada Day isn't being too happy for me right now. I've got to work all day. If I'm lucky I'll get Friday off, but with the delays we're having today there are no guarantees.