Monday, January 22, 2007

im in ur country steelin ur jobz


Gah.

I'm actually in Denver now. To give you some idea of how shocking this revelation is supposed to be, allow me to run you through yesterday:

12:00: Arrive at Calgary International Airport for my 3:15 flight. I arrived early because I had no idea how long it would take to process my work visa.

12:15: Clear check in. Notice that the flight is delayed by 20 minutes. No big deal.

12:45: Get my work visa processed. That was quick!

1:00: Clear customs.

1:15: Notice that flight has now been pushed back to 5:00. Sigh. It was to be expected, since everything was going so well.

2:30: Notice that flight has been pushed back to 5:45. Get irked.

3:00: Flight is pushed back to 5:55.

3:30: Informed that our plane has just left Denver. They hope to land by 5:30 and take off by 6:00.

5:30: Plane lands in Calgary.

6:00: Board plane.

6:30: Plane departs Calgary.

8:35: Plane lands in Denver and promptly remains on the runway since there isn't any place to park it.

9:20: Plane actually docks at the airport.

9:45: Pick up luggage.

10:20: Finally get a cab (first time in my life I've exited an airport and there isn't a cab to be found). Too bad the cabbie has no idea how to get to Longmont, where my apartment apparantly is.

11:30: Finally get to my apartment. Dispite my misgivings, I don't think that the driver took my on a cross country tour. It took a fair amount of time for me to get back into downtown this morning.

Will post more soon (hopefully), but I'm now awash in a new environment with many new things to learn.

8 comments:

Calvin Jim said...

Welcome to Werewolf country. Enjoy your stay ... ;-)

Really, I am amazed that you got internet access so quickly. I wasn't expecting an update for a few days.

Just one question - where do you get those funky pics?

Steve said...

Well, I'm in the office, so having internet access isn't a surprise - I probably shouldn't be wasting time doing this today, but I've had a couple of free minutes here and there.

The pics have just come from a variety of sources on the internet.

Electric Maenad said...

Did you at least get to expense all the drinks you had whiling away the time in the airport "lounge"?

Amy said...

Aw, believe me, I sympathize with your travel pain. Of all the flights that R:tAG and I have taken in the past year, I think only one has been close to on time (and that one actually left *early,* which in a way is even worse).

You should take up knitting. It's a marvelous and productive way of filling in the waiting time.

Electric Maenad said...

I don't imagine folks in Beebe take too kindly to a feller who knits. You know, he might be one o' *them*.

Amy said...

Ah. I hadn't thought of that. He would have to knit furtively.

Siochain said...

I miss you... New Jersey sucks.

Steve said...

Hmm. While the image of my Ukrainian Sausage-Fingers trying to knit would doubtless be hilarious, I have little doubt that within 15 minutes I'd be finding a less orthodox use for the needles.

And Siochain, I miss you too. But just think: as bad as New Jersey is, at least you're not in Beebe. Just keep repeating that like a mantra.