Monday, January 15, 2007

Things About Calgary I Will Not Miss #1:

The Drivers.

From the first day I got my drivers license I've been shocked by the incredible depths of stupidity that they sink to on a daily basis. After 15 years driving here you'd think that I'd be used to it and not be able to be surprised, but sure enough every time I go on the road (and most times I'm walking) somebody pulls some stunt that puts them on my list of people that must be eliminated from the gene pool (along with their offspring) for the good of humanity.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Yup; Calgary drivers == scary, in a different way from S'toon drivers. If you just assume everyone in S'toon has never driven 1) anything smaller than a tractor 2) on a paved road, 3) having to signal because everyone knew where they were going, they become predictable. Good practice for Arkansas! :)

People (generally) know how to drive here. It's a relief to be average.

To completely change the subject, have you seen Cooking for Engineers? Of all the people I know, I thought you'd like it.

Steve said...

Honestly, the S'toon drivers rarely bothered me. As you said, they have their faults, but they're much more relaxed about it. Having Grandpa going 20 in passing lane with his turn signal perpetually on is frustrating, but hardly ever drove me into the near-homicidal frenzy that Calgary drivers do. I'm very curious as to see what the Arkansas drivers are like.

That site looks great. It's the sort of thing that I've found myself being drawn to lately over traditional cooking sites/books that are loaded with just recipes.

cenobyte said...

Are the Calgary drivers worse when you are also a driver, or worse when you are a pedestrian. It's been about a year since I drove in Calgary, and although I didn't notice anything horrendously bad, I was probably driving 20 in the passing lane with my blinker on, so I may not have noticed. I do remember, though, trying to cross the street *with* the street light in downtown Calgary a couple of times...