Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Maybe It Was Something I Ate


Go figure. I'm in Colorado for less than a day before I come down with another cold. At least the plane wasn't especially late this time. Still, it hasn't helped my sleeping schedule.

Grand Junction's a nice little city. It's nestled in the West Slope and reminds me a lot of the B.C. side of the Rockies. The company's put me up in a very nice little condo while I'm here. Fully furnished, they even left beer in the fridge for me.*

The job out here is a lot more like what I'll be doing down in Arkansas, apparently. That means less QC and more job analysis, which makes me a lot happier. The only "problem" (if there could be one) is that the jobs tend to be a ways out of town (unlike Platteville, where they're only about 15 minutes away). It's taken some doing to get used to waking up before 4:00 again. Fortunately, Arkansas jobs should be a lot closer (more on the line of the Platteville jobs than the GJ ones) so I can still get my beauty sleep.

And I'm seriously thinking of buying a house down there. My original plan was (and still is) to serve my 3 - 5 year sentence down there before being paroled to something else - maybe back to Calgary, maybe somewhere else. I really thought that it would be too much of a hassle to start dumping money into a house for that short a period of time.

Then I talked to a few of the people who have been house-hunting down there. When houses in Arkansas are a fraction (ie: 25% or less) of the cost of what they are in Calgary it makes them a lot more appealing. Especially when I consider the other intangibles - such as since the housing boom hasn't hit yet the new houses actually have a degree of competence in their construction.

So yeah, as if I didn't have enough on my mind already, I'm going to be house hunting too. Apparently I have a masochistic streak.

__________________________________________________________

* It was Bud Light and Zima, but it's the thought that counts.

No comments: