Thursday, February 08, 2007

Update!

Well, the more things change, blah blah blah.

Hashed over some details with my U.S. boss yesterday and we came up with this plan:

Home to Calgary tomorrow (Yay!)
Have a week in Calgary to get personal/professional stuff sorted out.
Fly out to Denver on the 18th. Overnight in Denver.
Drive out to our Grand Junction office on the 19th.
Spend 19th - 21st in Grand Junction.
Drive back to Denver on the 21st. Overnight in Denver.
22 & 23: Drive to Arkansas (cue Dueling Banjos).
Work in Arkansas until March 16th.
March 17th Fly back to Calgary.
Take a week off and evaluate on whether I really want to do this.

So that's how it looks for now. I still find it really funny how hesitant the company is to put me down here permanently. I've spent the last 2 months mentally preparing myself for this. I'm not going to back out now (even if I don't like the job).

5 comments:

Amy said...

Huh. Do you know if your company has had anyone else in Arkansas? Like, is this hesitancy based on the fact that none of the previous fifteen people have lasted more than three weeks before getting so desperate to leave that they left all their possessions behind and hitchhiked back to Canada?

Steve said...

Nah. We still haven't officially opened up the district yet - the district manager and maintenance manager are down there already but that's about it. Most of the equipment and personnel will start moving down in the next couple of weeks.

From what I understand they're just nervous because the position, climate, and people are all very different from anything I've had to deal with before. They don't want to move me down there and then a month later have to move me back because I can't cut it.

Unknown said...

Well, hang in there, man! Arkansas can't be that bad... or CAN IT?!?

Steve said...

Hmmm. I'm not entirely sure if it's better or worse than California

Calvin Jim said...

*grumbles*

Very good guys.

I can't view EITHER of those at work ;-)